My Email Finds a place in the Fulbright Newsletter

One day when I was doing my Intensive English Course (rather called as English as a Second Language (ESL)) at an ELS center based in our university, I received an email asking me to submit a kind of report on how I was doing, and what my feelings about the Fulbright grant were. Having been only couple of months then, I felt so burdened and short of ideas to write. However, since I was mandated, I wrote a few paragraphs in a form of email, and sent it to them. Then it was forgotten completely until I received an email correspondence of the Fulbright Foreign Student Newsletter, Issue 10, published on July 2008. I scrolled down to check if there was any pictures, but I was surprised to find my article. Although, my article didn't address any issues or bear any professionalism, I thought it was cool. So I am reproducing it below:

EXPERIENCING A WHOLE NEW FULBRIGHT WORLD

by Pema Wangdi, 2007-2008, Bhutan

I am Pema Wangdi, a 2007-8 Fulbright grantee from Bhutan. Currently, I am studying at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, Florida.

To be frank, I didn't know that programs such as the Fulbright Program were offered by the U.S. Government, and I had never heard the word 'Fulbright' while I was in school. It was only after I took and received my Bhutan Higher Secondary Certificate Examinations (BHSCE) results and had my interview that I came to know about this program. Of course, our Bhutan Scholarship Division and Royal Civil Service Commission (RCSC) had explained several times what the program is, but I still couldn't entirely figure it out.

Pema Wangdi, 2007-2008, Bhutan
Pema Wangdi, 2007-2008, Bhutan

Since I have never ever traveled abroad before in my life, I was very worried about traveling and whom to interact with in such a developed part of the world! Several times I thought of cancelling my grant because of my fear of being in foreign countries. But to my surprise, everything was arranged to the fullest, and the only thing I had to do was to read the directions and follow accordingly.

The first thing I received was a welcome package. It had every valuable document inside and was of great importance. While reading the information, I noticed the Fulbright Terms and Conditions, the individual responsibilities, availability of enrichment seminar programs. We are given lots of opportunities to engage with fellow Fulbrighters from all different countries.

I have been here for a short time and my experiences are limited, but I would say that we are able to learn a lot and can return back to our countries full of new experiences, ideas, knowledge and views.


Comments

  1. wow this is a beautiful piece nicely structured. I didn't notice you on blogger before but you write beautifully. I'd love to read more of your articles when time permits.
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Tashi for appreciating my articles....it means a lot to me.......time permitting i will try my best to write more .....yeah i have been here for a while now....lol..
    have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting! post more-i would love to read ur aricles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Yezer. I will surely love to write more, just don't forget to come back and read. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2020 - The Hope!

“The Imitation Game” --The Power of Mathematics

Where are you my Mr. Confidence?!